So it's been a little while since I've added new Wonderhaul content, this has partially been due to other things taking up my time, and partially because I've been working on things for the Halloween Event that is currently running. More core WonderHaul updates will be coming soon enough, but in the meantime we've got some things for you all to play with.
You can now visit a Halloween Event area called "Wayward Avenue" from a Portal near spawn. The event adds a new currency; Candy, which can be spent at the Shadowmaker NPC in the event area. You can obtain candy in a number of ways:
Answering Riddle Door Riddles - All doors without a minigame in Wayward Avenue will award a single candy per day for answering their riddles correctly.
Fighting Wisps and Wraiths in the Wailing Manor. Wisps have a chance to drop 1 candy, Wraiths will always drop 5.
Winning a game of Slasher (this game costs candy to play)
Reaching the end of the Bone Train in a minecart (Leaving the minecart triggers the candy), this can only be claimed once per day
Reaching the end of the Maze, again once per day.
New items you can obtain from this event:
Costumes - Full skin replacements, right click to use/restore your original skin
Titles - As usual unique titles have been added. Some of these only drop from Halloween Gift Boxes
Stuffed Toys - 3 new Stuffed Toys can be purchased from the shadowmaker
Food - Spooky Soup can be purchased from the shadowmaker, granting 5 minutes of invisibility per use
Halloween Gift Box - A new Crate, contains money, candy, a lore tag, a special item and a piece of wonderhaul equipment
Pumpkin Carver - Use pumpkins and torches to craft different kinds of Pumpkin Lanterns
Some bonus loot only available from the Halloween Gift Box:
- Candle Roller - Craft candles from beeswax and dyes
- Strong Box - Large storage box, can store the equivalent of a double chest in a single space
- Crystal Skull - New glowing decoration
- Stonecutter - Craft stones with lettering and arrows on them
- Flair Tag: Bats - Can be applied to an item, causes bats to occasionally appear when you damage foes
- Gold Haul - Contains up to 50,000 gold
Hopefully you all enjoy the festivities, expect several additions/bug fixes to come over the next few days, as always I am but a single man and cannot test every single feature thoroughly for an event of this size, we have tried to cover all the bases but things do slip through. There is currently an issue with the 2-12 player Slasher game where the Slasher is not given the correct items, that will be reopened as soon as it is fixed, I will update this post when any changes are made.
Please ensure you report all bugs via the ingame /ticket or by replying to this post. A Massive thankyou to Crow and Cal for building the new areas, and Burnty, without whom none of us would be here. Also thanks to munuke and Joel, for helping out with testing.
So with the Halloween season drawing to a close, I am looking to the future, particularly which areas to focus development time on. There's a number of in-progress features that are underway, each in various stages of development, but I'd like to get peoples opinions on which ones they would want to see added sooner than others.
I've created a Strawpoll here http://www.strawpoll.me/14391787 that you can choose from a few different upcoming features, the ones which get more votes will be the ones I spend more of my time working on, and they are more likely to be added sooner than the ones with fewer votes. A few points of note:
- Some of these will take longer than others, for example Wonderhaul Food has been worked on extensively and is much closer to completion than Wonderhaul Crafting. If everyone votes for Crafting then the next content I will aim to release will be Crafting, which will probably mean a longer timespan before new content is added to the server on a large scale than would happen if everyone voted for Food.
- I can only work on one of these at a time. While I have a lot of help from the Dev and Build teams, especially with building new areas, much of the programming side of new content is almost always done solely by myself, and with Burnt stepping away from this side of running the server the reliance on me to make new features work has only increased. This means that while I'm working on one thing it may sometimes seem like I am neglecting other features, when in reality I just don't have the time to do both.
- I'm not an endless fountain of ideas. Like anyone creating content of any form I sometimes encounter a problem that I don't have a solution to. I also want to ensure that the features I add aren't a waste of time, and serve a real and distinct purpose within the server. Sometimes I have to take breaks from certain features to develop the basic concept further because the original idea was lacking in some way/could be done better.
- I don't always want to spend my free time working on features for LC. I have a job that takes up most of my time IRL, and after 8+ hours of programming each day the prospect of spending the rest of my evening doing more programming can be daunting.
- I plan to keep adding these things as long as LC is online.
As always I look forward to any thoughts and feedback you may have,